I love spending time with family and friends on the golf course, in the mountains, or at my cottage in the Gulf Islands.
I act as a trusted advisor to business owners and management teams, helping them navigate day-to-day challenges and drive value and wealth creation at all stages of the business cycle.
My practice focuses on all aspects of business law, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, corporate reorganizations, and corporate finance.
I also have extensive experience in the negotiation of shareholder agreements, investor rights agreements, advising on corporate governance matters, and assisting clients with other commercial arrangements.
I work closely with the firm's tax & estate planning group, focusing primarily on corporate structuring, restructuring and private financing transactions.
- Accounting and Finance for Non-Financial Managers, 2015, Certification
- CPA Canada's Indepth Tax Course, Parts I, II and III, 2011 - 2014,
- Bachelor of Laws, 2010, University of Calgary
- Bachelor of Arts, 2005, University of Victoria
Call to the Bar
- 2011, Law Society of Alberta
- Acted for a private equity firm in connection with the formation and capitalization of its investment funds and related debt and equity investment strategies.
- Acted for public oil and gas company in connection with its $99.1 million sale, via plan of arrangement, to a public oil and gas company.
- Acted for a private investment fund in connection with it tax-driven restructuring.
- Acted for a public oilfield services company in connection with its $57.8 million acquisition of a private oilfield services company.
- Acted for a private investment company in connection with its acquisition of a majority equity interest in a private oilfield tubular inspection and repair company and related restructuring.
- Acted for a private oilfield product and services company in connection with the $214 million sale of its business and assets to the artificial lift division of a global oilfield product and services company.
- Acted for a private oilfield services company in connection with its sale of a majority equity interest to a global oilfield product and services company based on an enterprise value of $92 million.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Council Member, Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Branch
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth (Calgary Chapter)
Alternative fee structures create alignment, strengthen relationships - May 7, 2018 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Understanding objectives key to setting up ideal corporate structure - March 22, 2018 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Adequate preparation time crucial when selling business - January 22, 2018 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Cryptocurrency offering may come with regulatory requirements - November 10, 2017 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Next steps for Canada's budding marijuana industry up to provinces - May 10, 2017 (This article originally appeared on TheLawyerDaily.ca published by LexisNexis Canada Inc.)
Bill highlights succession planning issues facing businesses - March 20, 2017 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Law firm, legal community resources valuable for young lawyers - March 6, 2017 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Turning to a Mentor - A friendly piece of advise can go far(Quoted) - March 3, 2017 (Lawyer's Weekly)
Proposed changes to Income Tax Act spark conversation on succession planning 'problem' - February 17, 2017 (This article originally appeared on TheLawyerDaily.ca published by LexisNexis Canada Inc.)
Alternative financing a solution for energy firms in current market - October 20, 2016 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Finding alternative capital sources for energy firms - October 14, 2016 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Increased reporting requirements for exempt market distributions - May 10, 2016 (AdvocateDaily.com)
Cameron MacCarthy Embraces Challenge of Solving Complex Problems – May 28, 2015 (AdvocateDaily.com)
- Best practices for board of directors meetings
- The Devil is in the Details
- Defend against an unsolicited take-over bid
- Locking the Box to Avoid Price Chipping
- Increased Reporting Requirements for Exempt Market Distributions
- Alberta's New Royalty Regime Presents Opportunities for Efficient and Precise Oilfield Service Operators
- View all Insights by Cameron MacCarthy