Being a former professional musician, my philanthropic pursuits include music and the arts.
My broad-based tax practice includes advising corporations and their shareholders on domestic and cross-border investments, transactions and business structures.
I have implemented corporate reorganizations for businesses in a variety of industries and provided tax advice on financing and M&A transactions. My practice involves a significant international tax component, acting for clients ranging from owner-managed businesses to public companies. I have also successfully negotiated favorable outcomes with the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) Designation, 2013, Certification
- University of Alberta, 2003, Bachelor of Laws
Call to the Bar
- 2008, Law Society of British Columbia
- 2004, Law Society of Alberta
- Structuring advice for inbound investment for non-residents carrying on business in Canada.
- Implementation of cross-border financing strategies to maximize interest deductions.
- Facilitating shareholder buy-outs in a tax-efficient manner.
- Hybrid asset/share sales to provide tax advantages to both vendors and purchasers of private corporations.
- Advising on the judicious use of trusts for asset protection and tax efficiencies.
- Unconventional tax strategies using derivatives and financial instruments.
- Business succession planning.
- Private company reorganizations to minimize the erosion of family wealth from double tax on death.
- Planning to mitigate departure tax for Canadians emigrating to other countries.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Global Vice Chair, GGI International Tax Practice Group
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, International Fiscal Associate
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- The 2018 Federal Budget: Tax Reform for Private Corporations is Softened
- 2018 Federal Budget: What Private Companies Need to Know
- Morneau’s Tax Proposals causing Harm
- The July 2017 Tax Proposals
- GST Double Tax Problem on imported goods
- Who Is the Taxpayer – the Estate or the Beneficiary?
- View all Insights by Robert Worthington
- Recent Changes to Canada’s Immigration Policy and Related Tax Rules
- Tax Structuring Opportunities Through Canada and Luxembourg
- Death Tax and Double Tax in International Estates
- Trustees’ Duties to Disclose Information to Beneficiaries
- Corporate Law: What Every Family Practitioner Should Know
- Prevost Car and Reflections on Beneficial Ownership