- Business Litigation
- Corporate Commercial Law
- Investor Disputes
- Employment Law
- Intellectual Property
- Construction Law
I represent corporations, partnerships and individuals in a wide range of business law disputes from standard to high-stakes and complex matters.
I am a strategic thinker, trusted advisor and experienced litigator at all levels of court. I work to resolve clients’ problems efficiently so that they can focus on advancing their interests. There are numerous reported court decisions listed below in which I acted as counsel. That said, some of the cases of which I am most proud are those that were settled or otherwise resolved through measured planning and management without the need for lengthy proceedings altogether.
Born and raised in Calgary, I am deeply involved in the community, including in my capacity as the Board Chair of the Calgary Catholic Immigration Society. CCIS is a leading Canadian non-profit organization that provides settlement and integration services to immigrants and refugees in southern Alberta.
- University of Calgary, 2010, J.D./M.B.A.
- University of Calgary, 2006, M.A., Economics
- University of Calgary, 2005, B.A. (First Class Honours), Economics and Mathematics
Call to the Bar
- 2011, Law Society of Alberta
- Select reported and unreported decisions:
- Wilson v. Cordy Manufacturing Inc., 2018 ABQB 592 (Decision regarding whether a proposed new defendant that a plaintiff seeks to add to an existing lawsuit is entitled to participate in an application brought by the plaintiff for that purpose.)
- Cafe Can Cun Co Incorporated v. Halcor Development Corporation, 2018 ABQB 303 (Decision in which the respondent landlord (client) was successful in setting aside the interim injunction previously obtained by applicant tenant in respect to release of money owed to the landlord under letter of credit security)
- John F. Schneider Professional Corporation, operating as Canmore Legal Services, et al. v. Horst Tyson Dahlem Professional Corporation, 2017 CanLII 61802 (Supreme Court of Canada dismissal of opposite party’s application for leave to appeal the 2017 decision of the Alberta Court of Appeal)
- Horst Tyson Dahlem Professional Corporation v. John F. Schneider Professional Corporation (Canmore Legal Services), 2017 ABCA 97 (Court of Appeal decision affirming trial judgment. The focus of the Court was personal liability of professionals operating through their professional corporations.)
- 1864684 Alberta Ltd v 1693737 Alberta Inc, 2016 ABQB 371 (Decision affecting the rights of (commercial) condominium purchasers versus lienholders in a receivership)
- Horst Tyson Dahlem Professional Corporation v. John F. Schneider Professional Corporation (Canmore Legal Services), 2016 ABQB 173 (Full indemnity costs decision re: 2016 ABQB 92 case below - lead counsel)
- Horst Tyson Dahlem Professional Corporation v. John F. Schneider Professional Corporation (Canmore Legal Services), 2016 ABQB 92 (Trial decision - lead counsel). Trial decision of the Hon. Justice G.C. Hawco awarding the Plaintiff (client) full judgment with interest and costs throughout in regard to a claim of debt and dismissing the counterclaim of the Defendants alleging various matters.
- Pillar Resource Services Inc. v. Primewest Energy Inc, 2016 ABQB 120. Costs decision.
- Geophysical Service Incorporated v. Antrim Energy Inc., 2015 ABQB 482. Summary dismissal application in regard to alleged infringements of intellectual property.
- Geophysical Service Incorporated v. EnCana Corporation et al, 2015 ABQB 196. Simultaneous hearing of more than a dozen security for costs applications.
- Geophysical Service Incorporated v. Arcis Seismic Solutions Corp. et al, 2015 ABQB 88. Appeal before a Justice from a decision of a Master regarding a jurisdictional challenge.
- Horst Tyson Dahlem Professional Corporation v. John F. Schneider Professional Corporation (Canmore Legal Services), 2015 ABQB 413 (lead counsel). Application for an attachment order and apportionment of costs.
- Horst Tyson Dahlem Professional Corporation v. John F. Schneider Professional Corporation (Canmore Legal Services), 2013 ABQB 601 (lead counsel). Pleading amendment application.
- Lutz v. Lutz, 2013 ABCA 159: Appeal before panel at the Court of Appeal regarding a technical matter in respect to Lutz v. Lutz, 2012 ABQB 300. (lead counsel)
- Lutz v. Lutz, 2012 ABQB 300 (Originating Application decision - lead counsel). Originating Application decision regarding a real estate property dispute.
- Steinmark Group Ltd. et al v. Canadian Spirit Seafood Ltd. et al (Action No. P1302900985): Successful application to strike the claim as lead counsel on behalf of defendants in Provincial Court.
- Martin v. Edon Properties Ltd. (Action No. P1102900227): Successful defence as lead counsel of a property management company in a wrongful dismissal action at trial in Provincial Court (Red Deer).
- Town of Cochrane v. Austech Holdings Inc. (Action No. 1101-05026): Successful representation as lead counsel on behalf of the Town of Cochrane in regard to two summary dismissal applications at the Court of Queen’s Bench.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Chair, Calgary Catholic Immigration Society (2017-Present, Board Director 2014-Present)
- Practice Review Committee Member, Law Society of Alberta (2018-Present)
- Audit and Finance Committee Member, Law Society of Alberta (2014-2018)
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association Civil Litigation sub-section (Alberta-South) (2014-2018)
Awards and Recognition
I have received a number of awards for academic achievement, including the following:
Jason Lang Scholarship, 2009
Haskayne School of Business MBA Entrance Scholarship, 2007-2008
Frederick and Marguerite Hulme Law Scholarship, 2006
Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship, 2005
Department of Economics MA Scholarship Funding, 2005-2006
Economics Alumni Graduate Scholarship, 2005
Department of Economics Graduate Scholarship, 2005
Dean’s List: Faculty of Social Sciences , 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005
Millennium Excellence Award Scholarship, 2003
- Letter of Credit Security and the “Autonomy Principle”
- Forcing an Opposing Party to Take Urgent Action before Trial
- Liquidation and Dissolution of a Corporation as a Remedy for an Aggrieved Shareholder
- Enforcing a Settlement Agreement
- The Elements of a Partnership
- The Civil Search Warrant
- View all Insights by Mohamed Amery
- Various case comments presented to the Canadian Bar Association's Civil Litigation South Subsection, 2013 - Present
- Amery, M., 2007 Procurement of Ancillary Reserves in Alberta's Electricity Market, MA Economics Thesis, University of Calgary, 2007
- Bruce, C.J., 2004 Assessment of Personal Injury Damages (Fourth Edition), (LexisNexis Butterworths) Acknowledgement: Research Assistant