I act as a trusted advisor to business owners and management teams, helping them navigate day-to-day challenges and drive value and wealth creation at all stages of the business cycle.
My practice focuses on all aspects of business law, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, corporate reorganizations, and corporate finance.
I also have extensive experience in the negotiation of shareholder agreements, investor rights agreements, advising on corporate governance matters, and assisting clients with other commercial arrangements.
I work closely with the firm’s tax & estate planning group, focusing primarily on corporate structuring, restructuring and private financing transactions.
- Accounting and Finance for Non-Financial Managers, 2015, Certification
- CPA Canada’s Indepth Tax Course, Parts I, II and III, 2011 – 2014,
- Bachelor of Laws, 2010, University of Calgary
- Bachelor of Arts, 2005, University of Victoria
Call to the Bar
2011, Law Society of Alberta
- Acted for a private equity firm in connection with the formation and capitalization of its investment funds and related debt and equity investment strategies.
- Acted for public oil and gas company in connection with its $99.1 million sale, via plan of arrangement, to a public oil and gas company.
- Acted for a private investment fund in connection with it tax-driven restructuring.
- Acted for a public oilfield services company in connection with its $57.8 million acquisition of a private oilfield services company.
- Acted for a private investment company in connection with its acquisition of a majority equity interest in a private oilfield tubular inspection and repair company and related restructuring.
- Acted for a private oilfield product and services company in connection with the $214 million sale of its business and assets to the artificial lift division of a global oilfield product and services company.
- Acted for a private oilfield services company in connection with its sale of a majority equity interest to a global oilfield product and services company based on an enterprise value of $92 million.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Council Member, Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Branch
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth (Calgary Chapter)
Next steps for Canada’s budding marijuana industry up to provinces – May 10, 2017 (This article originally appeared on TheLawyerDaily.ca published by LexisNexis Canada Inc.)
Turning to a Mentor – A friendly piece of advise can go far(Quoted) – March 3, 2017 (Lawyer’s Weekly)
Proposed changes to Income Tax Act spark conversation on succession planning ‘problem’ – February 17, 2017 (This article originally appeared on TheLawyerDaily.ca published by LexisNexis Canada Inc.)
Select Speaking Engagements
Chair, Legal Education Society of Alberta: Buying & Selling a Business, Calgary, Alberta, December 3, 2019, and Edmonton, Alberta, December 10, 2019
Presenter, “Deal Making in Down Markets: Capturing Strategic Opportunities in Distressed Markets by Bridging the Valuation Gap Between Buyers and Sellers” Legal Education Society of Alberta: Buying & Selling a Business, Edmonton, Alberta, April 9, 2015, and Calgary, Alberta, April 23, 2015