My practice is founded in advising on mergers and acquisitions, acting for borrowers and private lenders and advising on commercial real estate acquisitions and financings.
For over 25 years, I have worked with public issuers, closely held corporations, limited partnerships and trusts providing advice and direction regarding corporate structure, corporate reorganizations, regulatory compliance and capital raising.
My clients represent all manner of industries, including oil and gas exploration and development businesses, oil and gas service businesses, real estate investment trusts, investment funds and agricultural supply and service businesses.
A sampling of the clients to whom I have provided counsel are as follows:
An Alberta based boutique hotel and resort developer and manager (general counsel)
A Canmore boutique resort condominium complex (acquisition of limited partnership units and associated debt financing)
An Alberta entrepreneur’s sale of a recreational vehicle dealership (sale of business)
An Alberta based organic oilseed processer (general counsel)
An Alberta based motorcycle and ATV dealership (general counsel)
A limited partnership acquiring Saskatchewan farmland (real estate and corporate structuring)
An Alberta investment group in the acquisition, development and disposition of its interest in a golf course in the Rocky Mountains (general counsel)
An Alberta land owner in negotiations with the developer of a high-end sustainable wilderness eco lodge (real estate/land leasing)
An Alberta based group on the acquisition of oil and gas interests in Texas (M&A advisory)
An Alberta entrepreneur on the sale of her interest in a major residential and commercial land developer (M&A, tax)
The owners of a health and wellness franchisor in the structuring and organization of its Canadian operations including, share purchases, share options, start-up funding agreement and unanimous shareholder agreement
The owner of a chicken raising facility on the sale of its farm and quota (M&A, tax)
A local hotel developer regarding various matters including construction and term debt financing of developments at the Calgary Airport and in Airdrie, Alberta
A private mortgage lender regarding the issuance of RRSP eligible debentures (exempt market securities, tax)
An entrepreneur on the sale of a specialty wine and spirits wholesales (M&A)
A land developer in the Edmonton area regarding the issuance of RRSP eligible debentures (exempt market securities, tax)
A manufacturer of precision-machined components for use in the oilfield drilling industry (general counsel, M&A)
An international business providing services required to effectively, efficiently and economically manage surplus equipment in the grocery industry (general counsel and director).
Canada’s leading provider of interactive online training programs in areas such as alcohol and drug policy, workplace violence, diversity and inclusion and other areas (general counsel)
Owners of a plant and facility specializing in the design, manufacture and sale of flexible plastic packaging (M&A, corporate restructuring)
Multi-location personal fitness facility (tax, corporate plan of arrangement, interprovincial amalgamations)
Alberta entrepreneur’s sale of his interest in one of Canada’s leading high-end fashion retailers (M&A)
A western Canadian multi-family builder regarding establishing a real estate investment trust and tax deferred partnership structure for finished product (real estate, exempt market securities, tax)
Canada’s leading agricultural streaming finance business in financing canola growers (general counsel, secured funding)
A sampling of some specific deals on which I have provided counsel are represented within my Representative Work.
- University of Alberta, 1989, Bachelor of Laws
- Western Washington University, 1980, Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
Call to the Bar
1990, Law Society of Alberta
- General Counsel and Director of Metiquity Merchant Group, an alliance of professional services firms that provides one place to access all the expertise businesses need to successfully raise private equity investment.
- Represented Crombie REIT in its acquisition of properties related to Sobey’s acquisition of Safeway Store.
- Represented Calloway Real Estate Investment Trust on multiple matters.
- Represents Qwest Investment Management Corp. with respect to the establishment and closing of its offering of limited partnership units of the Qwest Energy Flow-Through 2015 Limited Partnership.
- Represents Productivity Media Inc. a business providing senior secured debt in film / television production & serving the needs of Canadian and international producers providing innovative short-term financing in respective of establishing and issuing units of an income trust.
- Advised an Alberta public corporation in its acquisition of a crane company and of its operating subsidiaries including 180 employees and operated a fleet of 45 cranes, including all-terrain, rough-terrain and picker trucks, 130 multi-wheeled trailers and 50 tractors. The aggregate consideration of over $45 million paid at closing consisted of (i) the issuance of common shares; (ii) cash; and (iii) an unsecured promissory note.
- Advised an Alberta public corporation in its acquisition of a crane company and of its operating subsidiaries including 85 employees, a fleet of cranes and specialized heavy haul transportation equipment. The aggregate purchase price paid on closing was in excess of $55 million paid by assumption of long-term debt and finance leases, the issuance of common shares and cash.
- Advised a group of entrepreneurs and researchers in regards to a revenue sharing agreement with the University of Calgary for the commercialization of technology, titled: “Polynucleotides Derived From Circulating Nucleic Acids Related To Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) And Methods For Detecting BSE In Cattle.”
- Advised an Alberta entrepreneur regarding licensing intellectual property relating to the processing and conversion of synthesis gas to Mixed Alcohols and/or specialty chemicals and the use of such products in internal combustion engines or other petro chemical applications and negotiating agreements for funding a pilot plant and commercialization of the technology.
- Advised a public company regarding its $125 million Dollar revolving credit facility with a major Canadian bank and its issuance of US $75 million senior secured notes to an international investment firm.
- Advised a public company regarding its $250 million senior secured revolving credit facility, comprised of a $220 million Canadian syndicated facility, a $10 million Australian facility and a $20 million Canadian operating facility.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association